Tuesday, August 16, 2011

"Bess" by her husband Tom


Bess

            Mother's Day 1946 and the anniversary of my wife's being taken away are close together, so were they a year ago.  Memories come, and I can't help myself, and for some days, a week or more, I have felt depressed.  I have felt sad.  I can't be reconciled to her being taken; I don't understand.  She had prepared herself throughout her whole life to be a help to women and was now just beginning to realize her ambition.  Why should she be taken before she could do the work she has worked so hard and so long to be able to do?

            I will find my thoughts related to her.  I am doing things to please her, for her approval.  Unconsciously I have her in mind when I do this or that or when I plan or think of doing anything.   My life became tied up with her in her aims and ambitions.  I hoped for her success.  I was always in sympathy with the things she was doing.

            Last Friday I attended the dance to take charge of the meeting at intermission because no one else could do it, but I didn't dance.  Usually I can't resist the music.  It wasn't hard at all that night.  It was just a year since she went to the hospital.  I didn't know she was so sick and in such a serious condition.  I couldn't realize she was so soon to leave me.

            When she took down so sick at Maevonne's, I went up and took care of the children for her.  I should have gone the next day and the next and the next.  I should have kept her from trying to work at all.  She didn't ask it, and I didn't know.  I had my work to do here at home but should have arranged to spend all the time unnecessary here, with her up there.  As ever in her life she kept at it when she should have rested for several days until Maevonne came home from the hospital.  When she came home weak and sick she tried to do things, even clean house.  I had to insist she shouldn't do it.  She went uptown to do some errands and attend to some business and walked several blocks, quite a lot of walking.  She never should have done it.  She went to the Capitol, then a number of places downtown, including Bailey's where she bought a couple of apple trees and brought them home.  She always wanted to plant more trees.  Even if she didn't enjoy the fruit of them others could.  They sold her two dead trees.  I planted them, but there was no sign of life in them, and they never grew.
My wife usually took good care of herself by resting whenever she felt under par, but this time she seemed not to do as she was wont to do.

            When I attended "Mother's Day" program in Sunday School today, my thoughts were of Mother's Day last year, a tragedy too, and of other Mother's Days in years gone by.  Many of them she was not present.  She was away from home teaching school to help keep Matt on a mission, or in college, or to get finances to further her own program, or even to help others whom she considered in need more than she.  What we miss in life!  If we only knew sometimes, we might plan or do otherwise.  So many times what we do proves not to be worth the price.  We miss so much at times we cannot regain or make up for, and our memories are of regret.  We sacrifice, and it is later proved we have lacked wisdom sufficient to have justified the efforts we made.

            It looked as if the time had come when we could begin to live more for each other and with each other.  The winter of 1944-45 my wife undertook the tremendous task of offering a course in obstetrics.  She thought to have the women come to our home at first, but finding that couldn't work, she prepared the lessons and taught by correspondence having personal contact whenever they came to Salt Lake.  This was a big undertaking.  Each lesson took a week to prepare.  She was up early every morning and worked hard and long to prepare her text (lessons).  These were typewritten (by someone she hired usually) sent to the students and their papers corrected.  She outlined a wonderful course of lessons.  I believe no other woman in the State could have done so thorough and comprehensive a job, and very few doctors (men) could have done as well.

            Bess read everything on the subject of obstetrics she could get her hands on.  She read more than 99% of the physicians in the state, and read the books in Spanish, French, and German as well as English.

            In addition to doing this immense work, she made three trips away from home for long periods of time.  She went to Paris, Idaho for 5 weeks or more and took care of Fern when her baby was born and did all her housework to spare her as long as possible.  Fern had inflammatory rheumatism just at the time she graduated from the normal school (course), and we wouldn't let her teach.  She isn't too well or strong and must be careful.  This was in the autumn.

            My wife wasn't home long from this trip before she went to Panguitch to help Mirl, as Mirl is not too well either.  After a three week's stay, Mirl and family took her on to Leeds where she spent a week or more with her Mother, the last time they were to see each other.  Coming home about holiday time, she stayed during the session of the legislature.  I was extremely busy.  So was she, but we went to quite a number of shows together, and she enjoyed them so much.  She also went with me to several banquets and other entertainments.  We enjoyed them together.  This was the first time she was home during the regular sessions of the Legislature that I have attended as a member, except a special session that came in late May and June.

            She wrote a bill which I presented for her and fought for.  I secured its passage through the House, and the next day it was killed by some lobbyists during the night.  The bill aimed at restricting and regulating unnecessary cesarean operations by crooked and unscrupulous doctors.  And they did the lobbying or paid for it.  I was so taken by surprise I couldn't put up the defense strong enough.  I wasn't quick witted enough to expose to the members what had been done.  This was an effort to prevent women innocently to be imposed upon by unscrupulous physicians and others (including mother-in-law and husband, in the case of a niece of my wife's).  This brought the matter so forcibly to my wife's attention.  Her sister's daughter, Jarma, was tricked and forced to undergo a cesarian against her consent and in opposition to her will and good judgment, not even being remitted to consent (without even consulting) and of her folks or relatives.  In fact she wasn't even told about it until she was strapped down on the table.  Her mother-in-law and husband didn't want many (or any more) children, and no one knows what else they did to her at the time.  It was a crime, nothing less, and they get by with it.

            Just two days after the legislature adjourned, my wife went to South Dakota to take care of our daughter, Winifred, when her baby came.  She stayed two weeks and was called home to take care of Maevonne's children while she was in the hospital.  The journey home was long and hard.  The buses were over-crowded, and for a large part of the way, she didn't even have a seat in the bus.  She came home tired but went immediately to Maevonne's to take care of the home.  Louis had stayed home one day.  It was here she took sick.  She thought she had made a stew of some tainted meat that had been in the refrigerator some time, and got Ptomaine poisoning.  Whatever it was that caused it, it was very severe, and I am afraid it proved fatal because my wife tried to work when she should have rested.  Yet there are other strange things about it.  I had noticed she had appeared worn and tired for a year or more.  She wasn't as spry and full of life as she was wont to be.  She walked more slowly and tired more easily.  I know she had over-worked, especially when she was attending the medical school.  They mistreated her there, were so dishonest, crooked and unscrupulously determined not to let her graduate.  She received the rawest deal and the most dishonorable treatment ever accorded a student at any school, and this in spite of the fact that she was already three times a graduate of the University, and I graduated there three times, and all six of our children are alumni of the school.

            This uncalled-for indescribably dishonest and unfair treatment hurt her.  She never got over it.  I believe it did more than anything else, or than all other things combined to break her down.  It shattered her faith in doctors and in humanity beyond repair.  It stole from her the goal she had worked for all her life since she was a girl - yes since before she was fourteen.  It crushed her life, and she and what she could have done for women were sacrificed to the greed, unscrupulous dishonesty, the lying bickerings of quarreling bickering, curious jealousies of little, indescribably little, men supposed to be honorable physicians.  They were too small, puny, and puerile to have anyone honestly differ with them in any particular, but posed themselves as all wise, omniscient and above question.  Yet they quarreled among themselves and differed in petty ways like a lot of grade school kids.  Someday I shall try to write up what little I can remember of the raw deal handed out to my wife and the inexcusibly devilish treatment they accorded her.  I surely wish I had written it at the time when I could remember the names of these disreputable creatures and the details of the infamous things they did.

            Two things that stand out are the fact that they made her read a certain book text, that should have been done in Jan. or Feb. just before the final exams of the spring quarter.  They required it of no other student.  She had already taken the course, passed it, but didn't have quite as much credit as they now required.  Neither did some of the others.  It was deliberately required of her at a time when it would do her most harm in hindering her preparation for final exams.  She did it successfully.

            Another dastardly thing was...they refused to give her her report card and credits in June or July when the others got theirs, but gave them to her eight months later when they had studiously agreed among themselves to fail her in just enough subjects so she couldn't register at the University again.  It evidently took them eight months to get enough of the teachers to so purjure themselves as to mark her a failure in their classes, when they knew they lied, so as to get the required number to kick her out of school.  This will be mighty hard to explain especially as she was one of the most capable, brilliant, independent, and self-directing students that ever entered the University.  No other student, man or woman, has made a better record and accomplished more under as great difficulties, many of which were deliberately imposed upon her by members of the teaching force at the school.  Besides all of this, she accomplished since we were married more than anyone else I knew of or know of.  And all this while doing her own housework, taking care of her six children, helping to see them all through college, one of them through a mission, most of the money for which she earned and sent him.  She also saw her brother through a mission by teaching part of the time.  She bought his automobile, and then sold it to me so he really was paid twice for it.  Then of late years she went away from home to teach to get the money for these purposes and also for her own use in going to school.

            During the depression following 1929 to the second World War, it was hard for her to get work teaching at home, and it was impossible for me.  No teachers over 50 years old were hired except they were already in the system, except in out of the way schools hard to fill.

            When I went on my first mission, we had saved up several hundred dollars each, and I had a few hundred coming in from real estate sales.  It so happened that I had sufficient to keep me on a mission, and she spent her money attending school and for the children (all six of them under fifteen).  She attended the University the year I left.  The next year she took all the family clear to Kanab in southern Utah and taught under very hard living conditions--house, lack of furniture and things to do with.  The people generally were kind to her and helped her quite a lot.  When I came home she was going to the University again, and I was broke and out of a job from about Thanksgiving when I arrived home until the next February when I went to Hinckley to take the principalship of the grade schools, Mr. Judd, the principal, having died.

            It took a woman with a real purpose in life, an iron will, and an ability to do things under next to insurmountable difficulties to do the work she did in the case I have mentioned, and also at other times, too, which I may describe at another time.  Our letters and other things may give some details on these things.

                                                                                    TOM


No comments:

Post a Comment